2 Magret de canard or Duck breasts
6 Organic Oranges
20 threads Saffron
2 tablespoons Butter
Sugar and Water
Salt and Black Pepper
- Juice 3 of the oranges and reduce their juice with the saffron.
- Zest the other oranges and make the zest into fine julienne, or thin strips.
- Blanch these at least one time on boiling water for 10 seconds, then cooling it down in ice-cold water.
- Then make a simple-syrup (equal parts sugar and water by weight).
- Bring to the boil and add the blanched Zest and simmer for 30 mins.Reserve on the side.
- Segment the other oranges making sure there is no pith. When the bubbles of the orange juice start getting bigger and sticky, add the butter and whisk until it is incorporated.
- Remove all silver skin and small filet.
- Score the Fat-side half way through the skin about 1/2 an inch apart whole length on a bias, and repeat to make the skin look like a grid.
- Make the skin look like a grid.Season with salt and pepper.
- Place into a warm / dry pan and cook on one side until skin has reduced in size but about a third and is golden brown.
- Place duck breasts in a pre-heated oven @ 300 until desired internal temperature. (5-10 mins)
- Let rest out side the oven for 5 mins.
Slice and serve with sauce:
- To finish the sauce, add just the zest (not the sugar syrup) and the segments to the reduced orange sauce and glaze the duck.
- Spoon a bit on the plate as well.
- Enjoy your meal.