This is a traditional French (southwestern France) dessert and at the origin, "CLAFOUTIS" was made with cherries, but now it is also appreciated when other fruits are added to the recipe. We like to bake it with seasonal fruits such as peaches for a nice summer recipe but you can also choose other fruits as you like.
Nowadays, modern "CLAFOUTIS" can contain different exotic spices and can even be served as a savoury dish with vegetables and meat.
- 5 Big yellow peaches
- 4 cups of water
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup whole milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 TBs corn starch (corn flour)
- 2 TBs flour
- 3 TBs sugar
- 30g/1oz flaked almond (optional)
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- In a large saucepan, add water and sugar and the peaches, let cook on a simmer for 10 minutes, let the peaches cool down in the water.
- Pre-Heat your oven at 350 F.
- Peel the peaches, and cut them in 8 pieces or quarters.
- In a pie or clafoutis mold, butter and flour the bottom, place the peaches.
- Mix the eggs with the corn flour, the flour, the sugar, then add slowly the milk, like you do for the pancakes.
- Pour on top of the peaches and cook in the oven for 45 minutes.
- When it is cooked you can leave it outside to chill.
- Serve it warm or cold, your choice...sprinkle with flaked almonds and dust with icing sugar.