6 round zucchini (try substituting wide cylinders of normal zucchini)
10 large button or crimini mushrooms
1 clove garlic
1⁄2 C grated aged cheese
Approx. 6 oz./175g spinach (enough to reduce to about 1 cup when cooked)
20 leaves fresh basil
- Hollow out zucchini and dice bits you've just removed. Rub insides with clove of garlic.
- Clean, finely slice and sauté the mushrooms in 2 T melted butter, about 10 minutes, till soft, much reduced in volume and no liquid is left in pan. Season and empty into food processor.
- Use the same pan to sauté the diced onion and the zucchini bits in 1 T olive oil also about 10 minutes, lightly browned, reduced in volume and dry. Salt lightly and add to mushrooms. Pulse a few times until you have a homogenous mix but stop before you get a purée.
- Clean the spinach, spin dry if necessary, and wilt in a covered saucepan, stirring occasionally. Once wilted, continue cooking over medium heat without lid till water has evaporated.
- If necessary. Lift spinach mass onto cutting board and chop. Add to mushroom mix with handful of chopped basil and grated cheese. Check seasoning and stuff hollowed-out zucchini. Optionally enhance flavour with lemon zest and juice, and thyme, or garlic.
- Bake stuffed zucchinis about 30 minutes at 375 F. If desired, top with more grated cheese when cooked, and place under broiler 2 minutes to melt the cheese.
Dry Rosé from Provence, Corsica or Languedoc. Young reds from the